Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Bibliophiles’ Botanical Bookshelf

Am I alone in thinking the year starts in September? After so many years in school, it is entrenched. SO I felt it apropos to share the following:


First I offer this caveat: I am not a book reviewer. There, having said that I do have an opinion and even several where botany is concerned. I started out learning to identify plants by using Peterson’s Field Guides, to edible plants and to wildflowers in eastern North America. Others prefer the Newcombe’s Wildflower Guide, another field guide that uses flower structure rather than colour to group plants.

Once I began to explore plants as a potential object of study, I learned that Euell Gibbon’s Stalking the Wild Asparagus would offer hours of entertainment. I combed the used book stores finding others. Some even offered recipes. I set off on many a journey in search of wild edibles. Largely I sustained myself while studying plants on Brier Island as a student, on wild-gathered greens, veggies and fruit. Nothing tastes better than a camp-stir-fry. Blueberry jam made on a Coleman stove is pretty special too.

I also love the science of names, the etymology. William Stearns’ Botanical Latin became my bedside reading, soon followed by a course in Latin and Greek for the Scientist. After all, I was old enough to have taken Latin in Grade 9 in Nova Scotia. A more popular little book published in 1992 was Gardeners Latin.

Now I find myself reading a novel, borrowed from the library, entitled. The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. It is about a young orphaned girl who comes of age and uses her knowledge of flowers to send messages to people. It reminds me of floriography or the Language of Flowers, a dictionary of plant symbolism first introduced to Europe in the 17thc, although Shakespeare makes reference to symbolism in a couple plays. In Victorian England secret communications could be parlayed through the giving of flowers and bouquets. The messages could convey messages full of intrigue depending on the combinations.

Other novels that feature plants prominently form the quirky series about Brother Cadfael, a monkish character who solved murders by his knowledge of plants that were central to each story. Written under the pseudonym Ellis Peters, I do remember there being quite a number of these quick reads.

Hoping this brief romp through plants on paper amuses you if not offering you concrete suggestions.

No comments: