Tuesday, May 6, 2008

ALDER and ITS USE for COOKING UTENSILS

Recently I received a message from a concerned person who has used alder switches to toast marshmallows and to roast hotdogs. She read that they were toxic and should not be used.

My response was: there commonly is confusion between alder and elder. The common Downy or Speckled Alder species are members of the birch family and totally harmless to use in that manner.

Red-berried Elder on the other hand, is related to honeysuckles. Its wood is poisonous and should not be used for cooking, nor should its attractive red berries be eaten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I think warm-hearted post. Expressly the title attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

I just love your weblog! Very nice post! Still you can do many things to improve it.